Saturday, March 3, 2012

Playground Politics

Dear Hurricane Hamza,

Today I got to observe ( as much as a mom can) how you deal with conflict resolution for the first time. Okay, so maybe it was more like playground politics, but I was impressed with how you handled yourself.  

Saying that you have a fiery temperament, would be an understatement at the best of times, you come from pretty feisty stock so it’s understandable.  You can imagine my surprise though; when you stayed relatively cool under pressure when being confronted by two much older siblings at our local play centre. The ‘situation’ involved a teddy bear that you had in your possession (therefore rightfully yours) that a three year old girl had her eyes on. Between her and her five year old brother, you really didn’t stand a chance and I had to hold my entire being back from stepping in and saving you.

You voiced your anger and incredible displeasure with a few very loud screams while holding on to the bear with all your strength. You were overpowered and outnumbered and when you lost your final grip on that bear, the two bratty bullies were off it.

Much to your dads disapproval I don’t condone using violence to fight your battles, but I do want to you to be able to stand up for yourself and ideally not be subjected to constant bullying later in school. However, it is such an important life lesson to pick your battles.

-Which you did.  You didn’t know I had been watching and after the ordeal was over, you picked yourself off the ground, dusted off your hands and came running to me, took me by the hand and lead me to the trampoline. We finished off our play date on a high and happy note.

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff and some battles just aren’t worth fighting. Being strong physically and emotionally are important characteristics for any man to have, but without mental strength, you will always lack the intelligence to know when the right time is to walk away.

Love, your very proud, Mom
x

No comments:

Post a Comment